The Long Island Republic Airport Historical Society (LIRAHS) was formed by the Republic Airport Commission, under the leadership of Commissioner Charlotte Geyer, and the New York State Department of Transportation in 1984 to preserve and disseminate the rich aviation history of Republic Airport in East Farmingdale, N.Y. The society seeks to honor the numerous individuals, who have contributed so much to airplane manufacturing and aviation at the airport since 1927. The Society has been chartered by the New York State Education Department since 1987. The LI-Republic Airport Historical Society is an IRS-approved 503 (c) (3) organization. All donations are fully tax-deductible.
LIRAHS Officers and Trustees. For a list of our current officers and trustees, please Click Here
Members meet the third Saturday of the month at 10 AM in room 201 of the Republic Airport Terminal Building next to the Republic Airport Control Tower. . All are welcome. For a map.. Click Here
We welcome visitors to our fifteen Aviation History Photographic Exhibits and our three Airplane Model displays in the lobby of the Republic Airport Terminal Building. Admission and parking are free.
Membership is only $10.00/Year. To download a membership application...Click Here
The LI-Republic Airport Historical Society is an IRS-approved 503 (c) (3) organization. All donations are fully tax-deductible. To support the Long Island Republic Airport Histoical Society by donating via the Razoo Foundation ....Click Here
"Airplane Manufacturing in Farmingdale" written by LIRAHS Vice President Ken Neubeck and President Leroy Douglas. To order your copy...Click Here
Please Visit Us On Facebook By Clicking Here!!
Image top of page:
Republic Aviation Complex showing the Breslau Gardens residential area (between the runways) ca. 1970s. Note New Highway looped around the southern end of runway 14-32. 14-32 was extended after the Korean War to facilitate the testing and delivery of the powerful swept-wing Republic F-84-F Thunderstreak fighter bomber. New Highway had been a straight road before the mid-1950's and used as an entrance and exit for Republic employees from Suffolk's south shore.The southeastern end of runway 14-32 was built on property purchased by the US Government from the St. Charles Cemetery of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn. Runway 1-19 had been extended by the US Government to Route 109 during World War II.
Copyright © 2008 Long Island Republic Airport Historical Society